The following is an extract from the Bradford Council listings
House. Late C17 with mid C18 alteration. Rubble brought to course, dressed quoins, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 2-cell, direct entry plan, double-depth. Doorway to right, has double tie-stone jambs, deep lintel and chamfered surround, now blocked with small arched window inserted. Ground floor has doublechamfered mullioned windows with almost square reveals of 4 lights (now 3) and 5 lights (altered to 4) with a small-arched light set between lighting fire area. 1st floor has 2 flat-faced mullioned windows with slightly recessed mullions of 4 lights. Coped gables with kneelers. Central stack to ridge. Rear has 2 doorways with tie-stone jambs and windows with double-chamfered surrounds all lacking mullions but formerly of 2 lights with 3-light above; 2-light; 2-light with same above. Left-hand return has single arched light with one to 1st floor.
(formerly listed as Beckfoot Farm House)
House in 3 occupations. Initialled and dated "TB 1617" with mid-C17 addition and mid C20 alteration. Large dressed stone, stone slate roofs. 2 storeys. Two 3-cell plan houses, attached in line forming a long range. House to left: T-shaped with cross-wing. All are double-chamfered mullioned windows, those to 1st floor have almost square reveals. 1st cell has 4-light window (lacking 2 mullions) with 3-light above. 2nd cell, housebody, has 2-light fire-window to left of 5-light window with 4-light and 2-light above. Gabled mid-C20 porch at junction with 3rd cell which has 4-light window with same above renewed in concrete. Rainwater spout at junction with earlier house. 2 ridge stacks. Left gable is coped with kneelers. Rear has other 3-light and 2-light windows. Left-hand return wall has 3-light window to 1st floor. Attached to right-hand return is earlier house of 1617. This may have been of 2 cells originally with 3rd cell added. 1st and 2nd cells both set forward of 3rd cell. 1st cell has 5-light window with hoodmould with 4- light above and doorway with composite jambs, Tudor-arched lintel with cyma-moulded surround datestone set over. 2-light window above. 2nd cell, set back, has 6-light window with cottage doorway with monolithic jambs taken out of one light, sill renewed in concrete. 5-light window above. 3rd cell, set back, has 4-light window with 3-light above and doorway with chamfered surround. Coped gables with kneelers. Those to right have lantern finials often associated with the Knights Templars; different finials to apex of each gable. 2 C20 stacks set forward from ridge. Rear: 3rd cell, to left, has Tudor-arched doorway with cyma-moulded surround. 2nd cell breaks forward and has 4-light window with 5 x 5-light mullioned-andtransomed window above. 1st cell has 2-light to left of 4 x 4-light mullioned-and-transomed window with 2-light window and 3-light window above. Interior: House dated 1617 has fine original corner fireplace with Tudor-arched lintel and moulded surround (cyma, step, cyma) and bold stops; stop-chamfered floor joists and spine-beams, one has groove to its soffit for panelling to divide the room. 1st floor has tie-beam with mortices for grace, wall-plate and post indicating that it was timber-framed originally. Fireplace has square lintel with cyma-moulded surround. Division between two rooms has board-and-muntin panelling with triple reeded edges. Ground floor of 2nd cell has scarf-jointed spine beams, evidence of former bressumer and fire-hood now replaced by mid-C18 fireplace with monolithic jambs and basket-arched bressumer. King-post roof without struts.
(formerly listed as bridge over the Howden Beck)
(rear of Beckfoot Farm)
Pack-horse bridge. C1723. Hammer-dressed stone, single segmental arch with well dressed voussoirs set back from overhanging parapet with added wooden railings. The Parish Constable's Account for January 7, 1723 records the payment of £10 to Benja. Craven and Josa Scott, masons 'for building a Stone Bridge ovr Howden Beck at Beckfoot. In consideracon whereof ye said Benja. Craven and Joshua Scott doe hereby promise joyfully and severally to uphold and keep the sd Bridge in good and sufficient repair during the terme of seaven years from the day hereof, as witness our hands the day and year above sd'. Illustrated in Country Life, August 29, 1957, p399.
Mill now 6 dwellings. Mid C19, converted c.1985. Coursed stone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 7 bays with 3-bay gabled cross-wing on left. C20 casement windows with stone cills (mostly flush) and lintels. Round-arched doorway to No 5 with quoins, imposts and voussoirs. Central bay of cross-wing has a wide loading door on each floor. Plain gutter brackets. Continuous sky-light to part of roof.
Mill Master/Manager's house, now house. Mid C19. Coursed rusticated stone with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof. South front: 2 storeys, 3 bays with 2-storey outshut to rear of right bay. Steps up to door to right of bay 2. 3 tall chamfered mullion windows to each floor. Plain gutter brackets on table. End stacks and one to ridge. Rear: door to bay 2; 2- and 1-light windows; outshut a garage.
Barn now house. Mid C19. Coursed rubble, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 1:3 bays, left bay set back. Main barn has central round-arched cart entry with voussoirs. Mistal doorway with plain some surround to left and round-arched slit vents above. 2 sky-lights. Left bay has doorway on right and square opening with stanchions to 1st floor both with plain stone surrounds. Forms part of the Mill complex.
Footbridge serving mill. Mid C19. Coursed stone, large blocks to parapet. Narrow, with single segmental arch with voussoirs, and the top course (of parapet) rounded. The bridge is roughly-paved, and the entrances partially blocked by segmental-arched monoliths.
House, now in 2 occupations. Early-mid C18. Hammer-dressed stone, dressed quoins, stone slate roof. 2 storeys and cellars. 7-bay symmetrical facade. Central 3 bays set back form outer 2 bays which have quoined angles. Doorway has monolithic jambs and chamfered surround. Above square window with 9- pane fixed light. To either side at mezzanine level 12-pane sash window with plain stone surrounds. That to left lights stairs. Outer bays have sashes with architraves and projecting sills to each floor. Gutter brackets. Coped gables with kneelers and stacks, one other stack to ridge at junction of 5th and 6th bays. Rear: Lshaped. Projecting wing to left has doorway with tie-stone jambs to right of 2-light sash window with 8- pane sashes. 1st floor has 2 sash windows, originally 2-light and 3-light windows. Set back 3-bay facade has central doorway with monolithic jambs and 2-light flat-faced sashed mullioned windows to each floor. Those to ground floor have recessed mullions. Right-hand return has 2 bays of sash windows and large external stack to rear kitchen with offsets. Interior: No 1 has sitting-room with plastered cornice with anthemion frieze, windows with architrave and shutters, doorways with 6-panel Neo-classical mahogany doors. 1st floor has 2 C18 fireplaces with fluted entablature and casement-moulded cornice retaining decorative cast-iron grates; one fireplace has falseogee lintel with roll-moulded surround. No 2 has rooms with good moulded cornices to ceilings and beams. Arched doorway with console keystone and impost leads to dog-leg staircase with gun-barrel turned balusters and deepmoulded handrail with similar moulded newels. Stair hall has deep moulded cornice. 1st floor has fireplace with false-ogee lintel and another with monolithic jambs, stop-chamfered surround, frieze decorated with urn and festoons, dentil cornice. Bradford
(Barn now Nos 56-62)
House, now in 2 occupations and attached barn. House dated 1666 partly rebuilt C1782 when barn was added. Hammer-dressed stone, dressed quoins, stone slate roofs. House, to left, 2 storeys. 2-cell central through-passage plan with rear kitchen wing. Central doorway has composite jambs and chamfered surround with 1666 lintel dated. Other inserted door to right has monolithic jambs. All are doublechamfered mullioned windows with king-mullion. 1st-cell has 6-light window to each floor. 2nd-cell has 3- light window with 6-light above. Set under eaves above door is carved stone with the double-cross of the Knights Templars with datestone set above initialled and dated "B. F. 1782" Coped gables with kneelers. One central C17 ridge stack, another to right gable added probably in rebuild of 1782. Rear has 2 bays of windows of 3 lights and 2 lights to each floor and doorway with tie-stone jambs. Attached at right angles is rear wing with 4-light window and 3-light above. Stack at junction of the 2 ranges. Interior: housebody has stop-chamfered scarf-jointed spine beams, evidence of former bressumer. Rear kitchen has stop-chamfered spine beams and floor joists with ogee stops; large fireplace with monolithic jambs and stop-chamfered surrounds. Late C18 queen-post roof with collar surmounted by fish-bone kingpost.
House. Mid C17. Hammer-dressed stone, dressed quoins, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 2-cell, gable-entry plan, double-depth. L-shaped with cell to left projecting under cat-slide roof. All are double-chamfered mullioned windows. Those to ground floor have hoodmoulds. 1st cell has 5-light window with 4-light above. 2nd cell, set back, has 5-light window with 4-light above and 2-light fire-window with small chamfered light above (blocked). Coped gables with kneelers and stacks. Rear, originally single-storey, raised to 2 storeys early C18 when the windows were altered. 2 bays of windows. Those to ground floor double-framed with square reveals of 2 lights with recessed flat-faced mullions. 1st floor has two 3-light flat-faced mullioned windows the mullions slightly recessed. Right-hand return has mid C20 porch protecting door-entry with 3-light chamfered mullioned window (blocked) above. Set in apex is carved stone with the double-cross of the Knights Templars.
Barn. Mid C17 with mid C20 alteration. Coursed rubble, stone slate roof. 3-bay single-aisled barn. Fairly featureless externally with wide doorway with roughly-dressed triangular shaped lintel set in south wall (blocked). Right-hand gable has inserted doorway. Interior: good timbered roof with 2 king-post trusses with single angle-struts with straight braces to ridge. Posts are braced to tie-beam and arcade-plate. Heavy aisle ties.
Folly. Initialled and dated "B. F. 1796" (Benjamin Ferrand)
Hammer-dressed stone, ashlar dressings. Tall wall with pointed-arch to one side of a short circular tower with 2 pointed-arched windows; with inner rebate for glazing, to either side of pointed-arched doorway with inscribed lintel. Roll-moulded band. A typical folly conventionally ruined, prominently sited on hill top above Harden village; visible from St. Ives (q.v.) the home of Benjamin Ferrand.