Cottingley - derives its name from the Cota or Cotta family and could be said to mean
meadows of the sons of Cota. "Ing" means wood, "ley" means field.
Equally "ting" or "ding" could mean moot or court.
Cottingley can boast of ancient descent as it was named in the Domesday
Survey of 1086.Erneus De Burun held 12 carucates of land of which 2 carucates
were named as Cottingley. (A carucate = approx. 120 acres.) Only arable land, meadow and
were recorded. Moorland and waste producing no tax.
The land was described as "all waste."
- In 1160 - grant of land in Cottingley from the Knights Templars
to Henry Wales. (This grant is the earliest document
held by the
West Yorkshire Archives)
- Around 1254 the Lord of the Manor obtained a charter for "free warren" (the right to
the beasts and fowls) and the land was later described as a park.
In the early 14th century, on dissolution of the Templars, much property came into the
possession of the Knights of
St. John. They held rights over Cottingley and Beckfoot and drew rents from scattered
around the area. The double cross marking their property can still be seen on Beckfoot
and is preserved in Cottingley over the modern properties which replaced the old Grange
at the bottom of Cottingley Main Street. see
- In 1379 the plague arrived in Airedale.
In the same year Nicholaus de Cottynglay paid vx iiijd poll tax.
- In 1422 an Inquisition proved that Wm Gascoigne held land at Torpark, Shipley and
- In 1557, in the 4th year of her reign, Queen Mary revived the old Order of Knights
and endowed it with lands that had never been sold, including the Manor of Cottingley
- In 1566 the manor of Cottingley passed from the Franke family to a merchant, Bryan Bayles.
- Between 1585 and 1804 Cottingley was within the Ecclesiastical and Lay Jurisdictions
of the Manorial Court of Crossley, Bingley, Cottingley and Pudsey.
- In 1590 the manor was sold for £1040 to four partners who in turn disposed of some of
the farms to tenants.
- In early 1600's a decree was made that anyone holding land in the manor of Cottingley had to
set a double cross on either his house or ground in full view or receive a fine of vjs viijd
- In 1631 Beckfoot hamlet was visited by the plague with many inhabitants dying.
- In 1615 Richard Sunderland bought the "manor" which consisted of the former possessions of
the Order of St.
John at Cottingley and elsewhere in the district.
- On April 3rd 1616 at the Cottingley Court William Long, Edmund Fairburne, William
Scott, William Wright and John Symson - common typlers and alehouse keepers -
were fined for not keeping the Assize of Ale, but sold contrary to the statute.
Also the administrators and executors of Richard Jowet( deceased of Helwicke) should make
appearance before the
next court to prove the will of the deceased.
- In 1617 at the Cottingley Court the jurors found that William Francke made affray
and drew blood upon William Lange of Cottingley. He was fined 10 shillings (6/8d for
the blood and 3/4d for the affray). He was also fined a similar amount for making
affray and drawing blood upon Steven Francke, his father.
Abraham Willman was fined 3/4d for playing football on the sabbath.
Other inhabitants had allowed their swine to go unyoked and were fined 6d for every
swine. The culprits were - Steven Francke (3), Robert Lister (4), William Long (2),
and John Wright (1).
- In 1634 A Register shows the following Cottingley people
had Pews in Bingley Parish Church - Stephen Slater, Thomas Hudson, Richard Hudson, William
Bryan Lister, William Franke, John Hustler, Isack Hollings, Richard Dickinson, Laurence
- In 1666 the farmhouse belonging to Manor Farm was built. It was partially rebuilt in 1782
when a barn was added. Hammer-dressed stone, dressed quoins, stone slate roofs. Under eaves
is carved stone with the double cross of the Knights Templars with datestone B.F. 1782.
(Grade II listed).
- In 1723 Beckfoot Bridge built of stone.
- In the 1741-2 election of MP for Yorkshire, the following Cottingley people voted -
W. Lamplugh(Clerk), John Lister, Oldroyd Skirrow, John Booth, Timothy Maud, Bryan Lister and
- In 1744 a Bill was put forward in Parliament to make the Aire navigable from Cottingley to
Inghey Bridge in Craven. This was however dropped. The idea of linking the West to this
waterway was first thought of in 1744 (RAILWAY & CANAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY JOURNAL 1958 P 50)
by a group of 'Gentlemen, Farmers and other inhabitants of the towns and parishes of
Bingley, Keighley and other parts adjacent to the River Aire in the Riding of the County of
York' who were eager to improve communications for the transport of coal, minerals and
agricultural products. These men proposed to make the River Aire navigable from Inghay
Bridge near Skipton to Cottingley Bridge near Bingley. The reason for this was to link with
the road at Cottingley that went over the hill through Heaton into Bradford since the
present road between Saltaire and Bradford was not built until 1815. This Bill was not
passed through Parliament and so the scheme failed. However interest still remained high in
improving transport communications, as an article in the York Courant on the 7th August 1764
said, As the Rivers Aire and Ribble may be so easily joined at different places and rendered
Navigable between Leeds and Preston at an expense which gentlemen who have estates on the
banks may readily supply, it is thought proper to mention it to the public at this juncture.
- In 1753 an act was passed dealing with roads and waterways in order to arrange repairs and
collect tolls. The Keighley to Bradford road was included in this act and the route to
Bradford went up Bradford Old Road and over the moor. The toll bar was originally sited at
Cottingley Bridge but was moved to Cottingley Bar in 1823.
- In early 1800's Bingley had one postman (John Binns) and his round covered Bingley,
Cottingley, East Morton, Eldwick, Harden and Ryecroft. He occasionally used his donkey for
travelling. He died in 1840.
- In 1823 the Cottingley Toll Bar was moved from its previous site near Cottingley
Bridge to the junction of the new branch road to Shipley and the old Bradford Road
at Cottingley Bar.
- In 1834 the following people had businesses in Cottingley :
(Transcribed from Pigots
1834 Commercial Directory by Steve Garton.)
- Edward Whitley - Butcher
- John Firth - Shopkeeper
- John Hudson - Shopkeeper
- Hannah Foster - Sun Inn
- Edward Berwick - Worsted Spinners & Manufacturers
- Sugden & Smithers - Worsted Spinners & Manufacturers
- John & Samuel Dibb - Cattle Dealers
- From 1835 a day school was conducted in Cottingley smithy.
- In 1844 - October 19th Bingley & Cottingley Allotment Gardens opened.
- In 1848 Bankfield build for Henry Murgatroyd
- 1852 - Mechanics' Institute (which included a library and classes in useful knowledge and
scientific subjects) established in Cottingley. Moved to the Town Hall in October 1865.
- In 1853 Wilsden section which included Cottingley, Harden and Cullingworth, had 1 police
sergeant and 4 police constables
- In 1857 Dr Livingstone visited the area.
- In 1861 Cottingley had 113 houses and 667 inhabitants (census 1861)
- In 1865 Cottingley Town Hall was opened.
- In1867 Bingley Industrial Co-operative Society, which had been formed in 1850, opened a
branch in Cottingley at the corner of Town Hill Street and Smith Street. It traded mainly in
groceries, but later also coal.
- In 1877 2 postmen did all the work of the Bingley area including Beckfoot and Cottingley.
- In 1877 a mission church of Holy Trinity was built at Cottingley with a schoolroom being
added four years later.
- In 1886 Cottingley became a separate parish with the consecration of the church as St.
Michael & All Angels.
- Between 1888 and 1891 both liberal and conservative clubs were founded in Cottingley.
- In 1896 Cottingley Choral Society was born.
- In 1900 There were 8 Postmen in the Bingley area, Cottingley having its own separate
- In 1913 Cottingley Toll House demolished and Cottingley Bridge widened.
- On September 26 1914 The Cottingley Rifle Range was opened.
- Between 1914and 1920 Cottingley Hall was demolished and the site became Cottingley
Hall Farm. A new Cottingley Hall was built at this time and now houses Cottingley Hall
- In 1922 Saltaire Picture House built
- In 1926 Cottingley Choral Society came to an end.
- In 1933 Cottingley finally got its new school which was sited at School Street.
- In 1936 W N Sharpe came to Bingley Road.
- In 1936 School leaving age increased to 15.
- In 1939 the last tram left Saltaire Depot.
- In 1939 Petrol rationing started
- In 1940 Food rationing started
- In 1949 Blackhills Scout Camp opened
- In 1949 Clothes Rationing ended.
- In 1950 Bingley Council proposed a By Pass.
- In 1950 Petrol Rationing and soap rationing ended.
- In 1952 Identity cards abolished and Tea rationing ended.
- In 1953 Sweet and sugar rationing ended.
- In 1954 Meat rationing ended.
- In 1955 Nab Wood Crematorium opened.
- In 1957 on 19th October the Saltaire Cinema closed.
- In mid 1960s Nab Wood Grammar School (renamed in 2010 as Aire Valley School) was built.
- In 1965 the Centenary of Cottingley Town Hall was celebrated.
An extract from the 1965 Guardian-Chronicle
with reminiscences from older residents at that time
- In 1966 Cottingley Theatre Club was formed and two productions were staged - A Chance to
Shine and A Phoenix too Frequent
- In 1982 Yorkshire Clinic opened.
- In 1997 Cottingley Theatre Club gave it's last production - Fish out of Watwer
- In 2002 the site at School Street was vacated, sold for development and the buildings
- In 2004 the Cottingley
Village History Society was formed.
- On 21st July 2006 Geoff Taylor successfully swam the English Channel.
Many of the above historical facts obtained from Harry Speight's book "Chronicles and
stories of Old Bingley", William Cudworth's "Around Bradford" and J. Horsfall- Turner's